Sunday, January 5, 2014

Leapfrog Cafe, Wanneroo - 50%

Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year! 2014 started for me with a trip down south and a steak sanga at Settlers Roadhouse not really worth mentioning.

2014 is the year my sister is circumnavigating the globe. On the first day of the year she is flying to Malaysia, then blazing a trail across South-East Asia, Japan, Europe and North America. Since I was away on the day she left, we caught up a few days prior for a game of minigolf at Wanneroo Botanical Gardens, and then joined our parents at Leapfrogs Cafe for dinner.

Leapfrogs Cafe have a good reputation for pizza, but once my eye fell upon the steak sanga, my course of action was clear.

The steak sanga looked promising when it came out. Toasted turkish bread was filled to the brim with grilled beef, lettuce, tomato, onion jam, swiss cheese and aioli.

The steak was sliced thinly and cooked unevenly, being medium in parts, medium-rare in others, and was chewy throughout. The bread was Turkish, and toasted, which I like, but failed at holding everything together. I found myself rotating and rotating again trying to keep the contents and juices contained, but by the end of the meal I was eating with a fork and dirty hands. The salad consisted of a lonely slice of iceberg lettuce and a substantial amount of tomato. The condiments were fairly good-- the onion jam was a good foil for the aioli and swiss cheese, however I feel that the aioli contributed to the overall sloppy texture, so have marked this down.

Unfortunately this steak sanga was underwhelming and I wished I had ordered a pizza instead because those looked delicious!

Although the steak sanga was a disappointment, we had a lovely time playing minigolf, and both venues are in the Entertainment Book with fairly good deals-- half price for the minigolf, and 25% off for the meal. Therefore, despite the low score, I would still recommend Wanneroo Botanic Minigolf and Leapfrogs Cafe for an outing-- just get the pizza.

It will be some time before I see my sister again, if you don't count selfies in front of monuments on Facebook. So, Bon Voyage, Jesse! Auf Wiedersehen!

Steak: 2 / 5
Bread: 2 / 5
Salad: 2 / 5
Condiments: 3 / 5
Surroundings: 3.5 / 5
Company: 5 / 5

Steak Sanga Score: 50%
Price: $23.00

Leapfrogs Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment